PROGRAMS IN THE CASTLE
The manor of Gyula was donated by King Sigismund in 1403 to János Maróti, the king of Macsó. With the extinction of the Marótians, the territory became the property of King Matthias Hunyadi, who donated it to his son János Corvin. After him, in the early 16th century, the castle and the manor were given into the possession of Beatrix Frangepán, wife of János Corvin, daughter-in-law of King Matthias.
Despite the fact that it was located in the Great Plain, and due to the great distance and cost of obtaining stone, it was built of fired bricks from the clay of the Körösök river. In the second half of the 16th century, the Gyula fortress was one of the three strongest forts in the country, along with Eger and Szigetvár.
LÁSZLÓ KERECSÉNYI AND
THE SIEGE OF 1566
By the middle of the 16th century, beside Eger and Szigetvár, Gyula became of high importance in the borderline fortification system. The multi level protection was made up by the still standing inner brick castle, surrounded by a trapezoid outer brick castle with a still visible cannon tower on its south-western corner. A plank wall surrounded the outer castle with five bastions, and a four bastion hussar castle made from earth and wood was attached to this.
EVENTS IN GYULA
Hundreds and hundreds of events in the city of Hungarian culture.